Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)

Here you will find some useful information to help and guide you through your child or young person’s EHCP process. We have provided some links to local and national information regarding the EHCP Process.

We hope this site directs you to the most relevant and up to date information and useful contacts to help you and your child make real informed choices relating to your child’s EHCP journey.

What is an EHC Plan?

‘An EHC plan is a legal document that describes a child or young person’s special educational, health and social care needs. It explains the extra help that will be given to meet those needs and how that help will support the child or young person to achieve what they want to in their life.’

This is called ‘person centred planning’ because it increases your choice and control. This process focuses on what is important for children and young people. That’s because you know what you and your child want to achieve now and in the future. Young people and families have helped to design the plan.

The E.H.C.P. is designed to create a real change in the way that education, health and social care professionals work with families and young people.

Who is an EHCP for?

The educational health and care plan is for children and young people who have special educational needs (SENs) and/or disabilities. Your child’s needs will be assessed by education, health and social care professionals to see if you should have a EHC plan.

You can talk to your child’s school, college or nursery about eligibility for an assessment. For example, your school’s special educational needs coordinator (SENco) will be able to help.

So how does it work?

At the start of the assessment, you and your child will get the chance to say what’s working, what’s not working and what you think needs to change. Your school and LA will help you with this because a great plan can theoretically mean great change for your child!

At the same time information will be gathered from the other professionals working with your child and a meeting will be arranged. At this meeting you can figure out outcomes and how you think they can best be met.

Who can request an EHC needs assessment?

• The nursery setting, school or college

• A parent/carer of any child from birth to 16 years of age

• A young person themselves between 16 and up to 25, if they understand the process sufficiently themselves. Or their parent can do so on their behalf

• Any other professional who is concerned about the child or young person’s special educational needs

Remember! Parents and/or the young person should be consulted before a request for an EHC needs assessment is made. It is advisable for parents to discuss with the early years setting, school or college any concerns they may have about the child/young person’s SEN provision before requesting an EHC needs assessment.

Does the local authority have to comply with a request for an assessment?

Yes unless:

  • The child or young person already has an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan)
  • An EHC needs assessment has been made in the last six months
  • The local authority believes upon examining evidence that an EHC needs assessment is not necessary
  • The child or young person only has health or care needs A local authority will only carry out an EHC needs assessment if it believes a child or young person probably has special educational needs and that they need or probably need to determine the level of the child or young person’s special educational provision by writing an EHC plan.


Here is a useful template to help you when making your request to the local Authority for an ECH assessment, you must include the following;


  • Your address
  • Date
  • Child/young person’s name
  • Child/young person’s date of birth
  • I am requesting an assessment of the Education, Health & Social Care
  • needs under Section 36(1) of the Children & Families Act 2014 of the
  • above child/young person.
  • If possible include details of:
    • The name of the nursery/school/college attended
    • The child or young person’s special educational needs and/or
  • disabilities
    • How these needs affect the child/young person
    • Any lack of progress, behavioural difficulties, emotional and social
  • difficulties displayed at nursery/school or college
    • Any extra support/strategies that are in place already to help them and
  • any services that are involved such as speech and language therapy,
  • learning support and the educational psychologist
    • Is there any other extra help/support you believe would make a
  • difference (if known)
    • You can include copies of any reports, assessments and letters you
  • may have that could help with your request
  • Sign and print your name and state if you are a parent/carer

You must write to:
SEND Team Manager
Westox House,
1 Trinity Road,

Remember to keep a copy for your records!
For more information contact:
Dudley SEND information, advice and support service

Saltwells Education Centre,
Bowling Green Road,


20 Week Timeline